It was my sister, Margaret’s high school graduation on June 1st. To celebrate I made these adorable cupcakes! 🙂
To see how to make these cute fondant hats, check out the tutorial that Glory from Glorious Treats posted!
I made them and used a bunch of powdered sugar so that they wouldn’t stick to the surface that I was using. This left the caps all dusty!
Look for a how-to video later today! 🙂
So to all of the 2011 graduates, I wish you a big congratulations! 🙂
adapted from The Pastry Affair
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cups corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups light buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line and spray 2 muffin pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Beat in the buttermilk on low speed until just combined. (The mixture will look curdled.)
- Add the flour mixture in three separate batches, beating just until each addition is fully incorporated.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 or until the cupcakes are light brown on the tops.
adapted from i am baker
2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
8 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon clear imitation vanilla extract
3/4 cup heavy cream
- food coloring of your choice if any other color is desired besides white
In the bowl of your mixer, cream the butter until fluffy.
Add the confectioners sugar (2 cups at a time) until well blended. (If the frosting gets to thick at any time you can add some of your heavy cream.)
- Add the salt, vanilla, and heavy cream and blend until combined, then blend on high until frosting is light and fluffy. (If needed, you can add up to 2 tablespoons more heavy cream.)
Servings: 24 cupcakes