Since it coincided with my first trip to Trader Joes and it was only natural for me to use TJ’s goodies for the cake.
Salted Caramel & Chocolate Cake
frosting slightly adapted from Keep It Sweet
- Trader Joe’s Chocolate Cake Box Mix
- long strand of floss
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 8 ounces 1/3 fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Trader Joe’s Salted Caramel
- Trader Joe’s Chocolate Frosting Box Mix
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Mix and bake the chocolate cake as per the box’s instructions in two 9″ pans.
- When the cake comes out of the oven and has cooled completely, take them out of the pans.
- Gently lay the floss directly halfway up the side of the first layer (so that when you pull the floss through it cuts the cake layer in half). After you’ve outlined the entire circumference of the cake, pull the two ends of the floss together until it has made it through the entire cake, cutting it perfectly in half. Repeat with the other cake layer.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salted caramel until light and fluffy. You may have to scrape the sides and mix some more.
- Place a small bit of the icing on a pretty plate so that the bottom layer won’t slide.
- Lay one cake layer (out of the now 4 layers) on the cake plate.
- Visually divide the salted caramel frosting in fourths.
- Spread 1/4 of the frosting on top of the first cake layer.
- Repeat with the other layers, spreading the last 1/4 of the frosting on the top of the cake.
- Place the cake in the freezer for about 1 hour for the cake and frosting to stiffen.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate frosting according to the package’s instructions.
- Spread the chocolate frosting on the sides of the cake, and top the cake with sprinkles.
- Keep the cake in the fridge until ready to serve.