It started with a best friend.
Kala. Read about our adventures here, here, here, here and here.
Well, my dear Kala came to visit on Monday and brought me a whole bag of almond meal from TJ‘s. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! 🙂
Best present ever.
Then, we made the greatest cookie I’ve ever put in my mouth. No lie.
The edges are crispy, and everywhere else is soft and chewy…with huge chunks of melted chocolate surprising you in every bite.
If you don’t do anything else this weekend, bake these cookies.
It’ll be the best life choice you’ve made all year.
Almond Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Good Life Eats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 3/4 cups old-fashioned oatmeal (rolled oats)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature (I popped mine in the microwave in 10 second intervals, for 20 seconds. Don’t let it melt, though.)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 8 ounces dark chocolate bar, roughly chopped (I used TJ’s Pound Plus Bittersweet chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the almond meal and oats. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter with the sugars for about 3 minutes. You may have to scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure it’s fulling blended.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating between.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and almond butter.
- Beat in the flour mixture.
- Beat in the almond meal mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate.
- Scoop by the 1 tablespoon full onto your baking sheet that has been covered with non-stick foil or a silpat mat
- Bake for 10 minutes, until slightly browned on the edges
- Allow them to cool before removing from the baking sheet.
Servings: We devoured them so fast that I forgot to count but I’m going to say we made around 36-48 cookies.
Oh my, that melting chocolate looks too good. I must try using almond meal!
Gorgeous chocolate in the middle. And I love that there is almond meal in here. Definitely going to make these.
Ohhh those look amazing. I too have a sack of the almond meal from TJ’s and LOVE it. Have you tried putting it in a chocolate cake yet? Heavenly. I still want some of your cookies up there though (without having to bake them myself!).
Yum. Serious yum.
sweet fancy moses, those look AMAZING. must make + eat ASAP!
I don’t think everything is available here but they do look delicious. The chocolate.. Heaven!
That looks like quite the treat! YUM!
Oh my gahh – gorgeous cookies. I am now having a serious chocolate chip cookie craving.
These sound like my idea of heaven…im not a big chocolate chip cookie maker but my goodness these might well convert me!
LOVE! Love, love, love!
That looks so yummy! 🙂 Great pics!
Ok, I tried these and they were amazingly delicious, but I have to respectively disagree on the “Best Cookie Ever” designation. Side by side, I think I still have to go with the Frog Commissary Chocolate Chip Cookies as the Best Cookie Ever!
Yum! That looks amazing! I’ll have to give yours a try! 🙂
I have to admit….it was really, really close! 😉
Oh good gravy, these look incredible! There are few things I love more than a whole wheat dark chocolate cookie with nuts. I usually go for walnuts but am loving your almond version. I’ve got a bag of almond meal in my pantry just begging to be turned into a batch of these! Thanks!
Oh man…look at all that gooey chocolate! 🙂
Oh wow! My mouth is watering! Look at all that chocolate! I actually have almond meal….might have to make these tomorrow!
Owww! I was totally looking for a new cookie to try! Going on the list
These look SO good!
These do sound remarkable! So ground almonds = almond flour, correct?
Correct! 🙂 Ground almonds = almond meal = almonds flour
Wow, i just discovered your blog, looked through 8 pages and I’m hooked! All of your dishes look amazing. 🙂
My goodness to these look scrumptious! I haven’t made cookies in a while and this just may be *the* recipe! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Um okay I must have these now! Such perfect timing too, I just picked up a bag of almond meal at trader joe’s this weekend.
yah… these are going to the tippy top of my to-make list. i might run out to the store right now. it’s 11:13pm. ok, maybe i’ll wait until it isn’t an ungodly hour ;P
I don’t have almond butter can I use regular old butter?
No, use peanut butter. Almond butter is just like peanut butter except made with almonds. 🙂