I don’t know how I feel about this dinner.
The flavors were all there. Absolutely delicious. The perfect combination of spaghetti and pizza.
But, the topping is what didn’t do it for me.
It tasted great, but the way that it was separated from the pasta was a little tough to cut while eating it. Oh well. Ya live and ya learn.
I might make a casserole made of just the topping next time. It was that good. 😉
It is a quick and easy way to feed the family, though. Yay!
Baked Spaghetti Pizza
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni noodles (dry)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded 4 Italian cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (about 5 slices)
- 15 or so turkey pepperoni
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup pesto
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 1 1/2 quart ceramic dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, boil the water and cook the noodles to al denté.
- Drain the pasta and put the cooked noodles back in the pot (but not over the heat).
- Add in the marinara sauce and the Italian shredded cheese.
- Stir and pour into the prepared dish.
- Put a layer of pepperoni’s on top of the pasta.
- Next, a layer of tomatoes.
- Next, a layer of breadcrumbs.
- Next, a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Finally, a drizzle of pesto.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly.
It looks delicious despite the topping separating! Each layer sounds delicious.
Mmm, I think it looks fantastic! I wonder if adding a layer of cheese between the pepperonis and the tomatoes would help the top layer stick together more? Cheese glue!
This is too brilliant. What a crowd-pleaser! I can’t wait to give it a try
This looks delicious! I especially love that you used whole wheat pasta! Yum! I may try this one tonight…but I think I will chop up the tomato and peperoni and mix it into the casserole, then top with the cheese? I’m so glad you put in the note about not loving it and why…most bloggers don’t do that!
So cool! Love this idea.
I hate when that happens…it’s all there…but the finish. It looks great, though!
Ok, seriously. This looks insanely delicious!
Oh wow it looks insanely delicious! It’s such a cool idea, too bad it didn’t exactly come out as planned.
I found your recipe from foodgawker, and I tried this last night. Thanks so much for being honest about how this turned out. I went with Sara’s idea and sliced the tomatoes and stirred those in with the pepperoni, macaroni, and grated cheese. It worked really well! I think this would also work really well with chicken. I’ll be keeping this in my repertoire.
Wow, this looks awesome! We don’t eat dairy in our house very often, so I’m going to try to veganize this recipe. I know what I’m making for dinner tomorrow!
That’s great…veganize away! 🙂