If given the opportunity to choose a cookie to inhale, it will always be a chocolate chip cookie. However, these come in mighty close in the race of the cookie.
They are exceptionally chewy because of the oats and caramel bits. Mmmm!
And bonus! They’re made with whole wheat flour! Waahoo! 🙂
P.S. A little baby shout out to Laurie from The Corner Slice and her husband on their first baby!
Chewy Caramel Cookies
adapted from A Bicycle Built For Two
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup caramels
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a couple of baking sheets with non-stick foil or a silpat mat. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the sugars and butter together for about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add in the egg, vanilla and milk and beat until combined.
- In a bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture to the stand mixer until incorporated.
- Add in the oats, beating until combined.
- Fold in the caramels.
- Drop by the tablespoon full onto the baking sheet, leaving 2″ between cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly brown.
Servings: 25-30 cookies