Christmas is coming! Only 24 more days now! Weeee!
And in honor of the beginning of the Christmas season, I’d thought I’d bake something I never had before.
Unfortunately, they aren’t in the Chocolate & Carrots style of baking. It’s just hard to make a shortbread ‘healthy’ for you. Ya know?!?!?
So, just suck it up like I did and use that butter…all 4 sticks of it!
Enjoy these soft cookies with that little bit of crunch from the pecans! And Merry Almost Christmas!
P.S. What’s your favorite Christmas cookie?
Pecan Shortbread Cookies
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces 1/3 fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- After letting your butter and cream cheese come to room temperature, beat them in your stand mixer (or an electric hand mixer) for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the sugar and vanilla extract and beat for another 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the flour until it’s incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the chopped pecans.
- Transfer half of the dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and use the plastic wrap to shape it into a log (2″ in diameter and about 8″ long).
- Repeat with the other half of dough.
- Place the logs in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until hard.
- After the three hours are over, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Once you’re ready to take the logs out (one at a time), sprinkle the other 1 1/2 cups of chopped pecans out on a cutting board to roll the dough on.
- Roll as many of the pecans on the dough as possible.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/4-1/2″ slices and place at least 1″ apart on a baking sheet that has been covered with a silpat mat or non-stick foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and rotate the pan for even baking, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with the other log.
Servings: 2 dozen cookies, or more if you cut them thinner
I love this time of year! And I think the holidays call for plenty of butter:-)
Mmm, pecans are the best!
This might be my new favorite Christmas cookie!
Those look amazing. I love shortbread, especially the crumbliness of it(so that’s why I loved that picture where you showed all the crumbles. Yum :D) but I’ve never put pecans with it. I think that’s probably weird because a lot of people do, but I haven’t tried it. I have to now – looks delicious 😀
Haha. 2 cups of butter. That’s fantastic. 🙂 I don’t have a favorite Christmas cookie but it looks like these could be my favorite (without the pecans!)
Oh wait! Chewy ginger cookies! Those are the best. I LOVE ginger cookies! And molasses cookies.
Caroline, these look amazing. Shortbread is one of my favorites this time of the year. I love how buttery and crumbly it is. This sounds fantastic!
I love shortbread! This is such a great twist to the classic. Yum!
Yum! Shortbread are my favorite!
Favorite holiday cookie?? That’s a tough one. I’m a sucker for a heavily frosted sugar cookie or anything with chocolate and mint. Oh and those peanut butter cookies with the hershey kiss get me every time too. Can I pick 3 favorites??
Yes. Three favorites are perfectly acceptable. To tell you the truth I have so many favorites I couldn’t count them with my fingers! 🙂