Christmas is coming! Only 24 more days now! Weeee!
And in honor of the beginning of the Christmas season, I’d thought I’d bake something I never had before.
Unfortunately, they aren’t in the Chocolate & Carrots style of baking. It’s just hard to make a shortbread ‘healthy’ for you. Ya know?!?!?
So, just suck it up like I did and use that butter…all 4 sticks of it!
P.S. What’s your favorite Christmas cookie?
Pecan Shortbread Cookies
slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 ounces 1/3 fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- After letting your butter and cream cheese come to room temperature, beat them in your stand mixer (or an electric hand mixer) for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the sugar and vanilla extract and beat for another 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the flour until it’s incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Fold in 1 1/2 cups of the chopped pecans.
- Transfer half of the dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and use the plastic wrap to shape it into a log (2″ in diameter and about 8″ long).
- Repeat with the other half of dough.
- Place the logs in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until hard.
- After the three hours are over, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Once you’re ready to take the logs out (one at a time), sprinkle the other 1 1/2 cups of chopped pecans out on a cutting board to roll the dough on.
- Roll as many of the pecans on the dough as possible.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/4-1/2″ slices and place at least 1″ apart on a baking sheet that has been covered with a silpat mat or non-stick foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and rotate the pan for even baking, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with the other log.
Servings: 2 dozen cookies, or more if you cut them thinner