Well, you’ve seen the Gingerbread Biscotti I made yesterday.
Now it’s time to go to the more traditional biscotti.
This simple fruit and nut (in my case, pecan and cranberry…but feel free to use any nut and berry you’d like) biscotti is crunchy and perfect with your hot beverage. Be it coffee or tea….or just a cold glass of milk. 😀
There’s a sweetness in the cookie itself, then you get the nuttiness and tart from the goodies inside!
Pecan Cranberry Biscotti
adapted from All Recipes
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, cranberries, and pecans. Stir.
- In another bowl, beat the olive oil, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the dough comes together (it will be sticky).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently kneed the dough a couple of times until it comes together.
- Place the log onto a baking sheet that has been covered with either parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Flatten the log with the palm of your hand.
- Bake on the middle rack for about 35 minutes, or until lightly browned and risen.
- Allow the log to cool enough to handle.
- On a cutting board with a serrated knife, cut the biscotti at an angle into about 1″ pieces.
- Lay the biscotti on their side back on the baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until dry.
- Allow the biscotti to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled and hardened, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Servings: 10 large biscotti