My youngest sister, Eliza and I made the pie together.
This is Eliza…right there….look down…
Doesn’t the pie look fantastic!?!?
That’s because it was. 🙂
Believe it or not…I haven’t had dessert in many months *cough*cough* pregnancy.
…or you could do it like this:
Where’s the pie? 😉
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pie
Ingredients (Pie Crust) x2
from Chocolate & Carrots
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter (cut up into tiny piece, about 6 cubes per tablespoon)
- 5-8 tablespoons ice cold water
How-To (Pie Crust)
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and butter. Mix with your pastry blender.
- Next add in 1 tablespoon of the ice cold water into the bowl at a time, until the dough will form a ball when pressed in.
- Form the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes until it’s cold.
- Repeat for the top layer of dough.
adapted from Martha Stewart
- 5 cups frozen blueberries (thawed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 corn starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat milk
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, corn starch, lemon zest and lemon juice together.
- Spray your 9.5″ pie pan with cooking spray.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts into a 12 inch circle.
- Lay it inside the pie pan, draping some over the edges.
- Fill the pie with the blueberry mixture.
- Dot with pieces of the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Roll out the other pie crust into a 12 inch circle and lay it on top of the pie filling, draping it over the edges.
- Pinch and trim the edges.
- Cut some vent holes in the top.
- Beat the egg yolk and milk together and brush on the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to chill (up to 3 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the pie in the middle rack of the oven with a baking sheet on the rack below to catch any drippings.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350°F.
- Cover the edges of the pie with a pie crust shield or some foil along the edges.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the pie is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla frozen yogurt and or light whipped cream!