When your sick (and pregnant) all you want is comfort food.
Considering I’ve eaten enough canned soups to fill a bath tub, I wanted something creamy and spicy to clear up my congestion.
Anddd, after perusing foodgawker for
minutes hours (I’m not the only one who does that right? It makes me so hungry and wish I could go to everyone’s houses for a gourmet meal!), I came across the inspiration for this beautiful, creamy, and spicy dish.
You should make it. Trust me. You’ll have a happy husband/wife/child/dog? 😉
Grilled Cajun Chicken over Creamy Pasta
inspired by To Food With Love
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red/white wine
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups reduced fat milk
- 3-4 organic chicken breasts
- canola oil spray
- cajun seasoning
- 1 box fettuccine
- In a large sauce pan, bring the butter and olive oil to medium-high heat.
- Once melted, add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cook until tender.
- Add in the wine and stir until it is absorbed (a couple of seconds)
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and quickly stir.
- Add in the milk and slowly stir.
- Bring the temperature down to simmer.
- In the meantime, prepare your chicken on the grill, spraying it with the canola oil spray and sprinkling both sides with cajun seasoning.
- Also, in the meantime, bring your water to a bowl for the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the packages instructions.
- Once the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the sauce.
- Serve the pasta up in bowls and top with sliced chicken.
holy smokes! this looks delicious! i love any kind of creamy pasta especially with cajun seasonings! I’m sure baby loves it 😉
Baby loved it! 😉
I have a Cajun chicken pasta recipe that I’ve been wanting to post too but yours is way, way healthier! I’ll have to try yours out and see if the husband revolts against the creamless chicken pasta dish. 🙂
I hope your cold goes away quickly! It’s never fun to be sick and I imagine it’s way worse when you’re pregnant. So get well. 🙂
Yum! Funny cause I recently made cajun alfredo too. Yours looks wonderful!
Wow this looks really good. I just made some Cajun seasoning the other day and this would be a perfect way to use some of it, especially given the fact that I also just got some organic chicken. Will make some Cajun chicken definitely this week!! Congrats on your baby addition by the way 🙂
Oooh, this looks awesome! I hope you’re feeling better soon! I know exactly what you mean, even when I’m not sick there are just times when I want comfort food(way more when I’m pregnant!). I’m seriously considering making mac and cheese for lunch after getting blood work done this morning 😛 Creamy pasta is the best! That Cajun chicken looks amazing too!
This might have to be my dinner sometime this week! YUM!!
Darn you! This looks so good and it’s the end of the work day and I’m starving and this didn’t help! Haha. MMMMMMMM
Haha…sorry! 😀 You’ll just have to rush home and make it! Luckily it is a pretty fast meal to whip up! 🙂
I am not sick or pregnant and I still want comfort food all the time. 🙂 This is amazing, Caroline! can’t wait to try it out!