I have oranges coming out of my ears.
Every year around Christmas time, my sister’s school band sells boxes of citrus. This year, I got a box of Red Navel Oranges and Grapefruits.
It’s a good thing that I am craving citrus every single day….because we have a butt-load of it.
To change it up a little bit, I wanted to make an orange dessert.
To my surprise, there isn’t that many options. You have your orange pound cake, orange marmalade, and that’s about it.
Hence, the lemon bars…turned orange!
I hope you like them as much as I do!!! Pregnant or not! 😉
adapted from Feeding the Flock by Greenlawn Baptist Church
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (crust)
- 1/4 cup sugar (crust)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (crust)
- 2 eggs
- zest of an orange (about 1 1/2 tablespoons of zest)
- juice of half an orange (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the butter, sugar and flour together.
- Press into a greased 8″ x 8″ pan. I covered my with non-stick foil and greased for easy removal.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs, orange zest and orange juice together.
- In a separate bowl, stir the sugar and flour together.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour into the crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into squares.
The colors in the photos is tremendous! Have got to try this recipe with some of the oranges from the two trees in our backyard.
What a fantastic idea! They look really yummy and I can’t stop scrolling up. They sell boxes of citrus? That’s different. I suppose it’s healthier than candy bars. 🙂
they look so tasty! cant wait to make them myself!
I like lemon bars, but haven’t had one in years. I would LOVE an orange square. YUM! Citrus is so good!
Yum! I’m not a lemon bar fan but I could definitely go for an orange bar!
Oh, wow. I love lemon squares. And I love orange. I know I would love these. And I can’t help but think how I could make it chocolate, too. MMMMMM.
I don’t bake enough things with orange in them. This needs to change!
We always have three zillion lemons during summer. Do you think this recipe would work for lemons as well?
Definitely! I actually just adapted a lemon squares recipe to oranges. Go for it! 😀
And I’ll take one of those zillion. 😉