Valentine’s day is two weeks away!
If you think I’m starting to plan early…look at stores like Target. They had Valentine’s Day stuff out two days after Christmas! Geeze.
Anyway, I thought these were lovely, light, and dainty cookies to celebrate with the ones you love.
You can’t beat an all egg white cookie! 😉 Yes you can…that’s how you make them. Bahaha!
Please, forgive my awful joke.
I hope that none of you have any broken hearts…like this poor lad:
🙂 I hope you have fun with these cookies. They can be made into any shape that you can come up with!
Yay for pink/red/hearts/love season! 🙂
P.S. Don’t you just love all of the vanilla bean specks in these cookies???
Valentine’s Meringue Cookies
adapted from Cooking Light Cookbook
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Set aside 2 baking sheets covered in silpat mats.
- Put 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add it to the sugar.
- Stir well with a whisk.
- Put the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Beat on high until foamy.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the vanilla bean sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until just combined. The mixture should look like marshmallow cream.
- Scoop the meringue mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a Wilton tip or a ziploc bag with a hole cut in one of the corners.
- Squeeze even meringues out (about a tablespoon in size) onto the baking sheets. Be sure to leave space between them for expansion.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until light and crispy.
- Cool on the pan.
- Store in an airtight container.
Servings: about 50 heart cookies
these are too cute!!! i love the creativity you used while doing this 🙂
SO cute and so perfect for Valentine’s Day. 🙂 I love how light and airy meringues are.
Such a pretty post, Caroline! Love the cookies, too.
As soon as I see Valentine’s Day decorations I think it’s “almost” my birthday. Of course this is starting to change with stores putting out Valentine’s Day decorations immediately after Christmas!
These cookies look amazing! I may just give them a try. I love baking.
Have a grateful day!
Mmm so yummy!
i absolutely love meringues – they’re one of my favorite cookies. these turned out just gorgeous. + your joke made me giggle – ha!
Adorable! As big of a cynic as my boyfriend is about Valentine’s Day, he may just be getting a plateful of these meringue treats. 🙂
I haven’t had a meringue cookie in years! These are super cute, especially the ‘I <3 U' plate. 🙂
Such a fun post. I love meringue cookies!
I found your blog through Nicole’s. Your pictures are so pretty.
These cookies look just delicious!!! The sprinkles are just perfect for Valentine’s Day!
These are absolutely adorable!