The time is nearing for St. Patty’s Day! What better way to enjoy the holiday than with a good ‘ole Irish meal….that is quite healthy too! 😀
It definitely took me a couple of tries to get the process down, but I included some step-by-step photos in the How-To section of the recipe to help you out. 😀
On another and completely unrelated note, Logan and I are heading off this evening to take our 3 day babymoon. Last getaway before the baby! 😀 So excited!
inspired by Ina Garten
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can no salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the tomato sauce by first sautéing the onion and carrots in the olive oil.
- Once tender, add in the crushed and diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut the core out of the cabbage.
- Bring a large pot of water to a simmer.
- Place the cabbage in the water for a few minutes, turning as needed.
- Remove the cabbage from the water and remove the first couple of leaves. They should be easily removed.
- Place the cabbage back into the water again and repeat until you have about 15 large cabbage leaves.
- Cut the hard stem out of the leaves.
- In the meantime, combine the ground turkey, egg, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon about 1 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish, coating the bottom evenly.
- Place about 1-2 tablespoons of the meat mixture into the cabbage leaf and roll up like a burrito. Place seam side down into the baking dish. Repeat with all of the cabbage leaves.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the cabbage leaves.
- Bake for 90 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!