My favorite thing to do when we travel to Asheville, North Carolina, is to go to Mayfel’s and get their biscuit and vegetarian gravy with a side of scrambled eggs.
I’m weird, but it is amazing. I can’t even explain it to you.
And recently in my pregnancy, anytime you say breakfast, it’s not pancakes or waffles, it’s biscuits and gravy! I’m a Southern girl at heart, please forgive me.
The good things about this recipe:
- I used multigrain biscuits (I cheated and made them from the multigrain pancake/biscuit mix from Trader Joes)
- Vegetarian sausage patties (either Morningstar or Trader Joes brands)
- Skim milk! No cream here, but they sure are creamy and delicious!
It’s not the prettiest breakfast in the world, but it’s beautiful in my mouth!
Oh, and don’t forget to serve it with a side of eggs….and maybe some sliced fruit for a well balanced meal! 😀
Vegetarian Biscuits & Gravy
adapted from Pioneer Woman
- 4 vegetarian sausage patties
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup of skim milk
- pepper, to taste
- Cook the vegetarian sausage in the pan until browned and cooked according to the packaged instructions. Break into small pieces and set aside. (Or if you’re in a crunch like I was, just microwave the sausage.)
- Bring the butter and canola oil to medium-low heat.
- Once melted, add in the flour, whisking immediately. If it’s more like a paste, add a litte bit more canola oil.
- Continue to stir until slightly browned in color, about 2-3 minutes.
- While continuing to whisk, add in the milk. Again, if it’s too thick, add more milk.
- Add in the sausage pieces, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low to keep warm until you top the biscuits with it.
Mmm my kind of comfort food!
I can’t wait to try this. I have always loved biscuits and gravy but rarely eat it because I feel so guilty after. This sounds perfect!
It’s been a while since I have been to Ashville, but I love visiting that place! Very unique town…I had the best hot chocolate of my life in one of the coffee shops there. Your biscuits and gravy look great! I like that you made the biscuits multi-grain – they look airy instead of super dense, which is quite the feat!
ooh, i love the morningstar farms veggie sausage – it would be fab with these biscuits + gravy!
YES! Back when I was a librarian, I went to a library conference in Asheville and I had the biscuits and gravy there too! Oh, I’m totally going to have to make this…
Oooh these look fabulous! I’m not Southern enough to have grown up on them but definitely Southern enough to want to give this version a shot!
Vegetarian gravy! What a concept! I’ve never even thought of that.
Looks yummy! My dad and I are vegetarian, and we make a version of this all the time. My suggestion is to use the Morning Star Farm frozen vegetarian sausage crumbles. So much quicker than cooking the veggie sausage and them crumbling it. (just found your blog today, love your recipes and photos!)