I’m weird, but it is amazing. I can’t even explain it to you.
The good things about this recipe:
- I used multigrain biscuits (I cheated and made them from the multigrain pancake/biscuit mix from Trader Joes)
- Vegetarian sausage patties (either Morningstar or Trader Joes brands)
- Skim milk! No cream here, but they sure are creamy and delicious!
It’s not the prettiest breakfast in the world, but it’s beautiful in my mouth!
Oh, and don’t forget to serve it with a side of eggs….and maybe some sliced fruit for a well balanced meal! 😀
Vegetarian Biscuits & Gravy
adapted from Pioneer Woman
- 4 vegetarian sausage patties
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup of skim milk
- pepper, to taste
- Cook the vegetarian sausage in the pan until browned and cooked according to the packaged instructions. Break into small pieces and set aside. (Or if you’re in a crunch like I was, just microwave the sausage.)
- Bring the butter and canola oil to medium-low heat.
- Once melted, add in the flour, whisking immediately. If it’s more like a paste, add a litte bit more canola oil.
- Continue to stir until slightly browned in color, about 2-3 minutes.
- While continuing to whisk, add in the milk. Again, if it’s too thick, add more milk.
- Add in the sausage pieces, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low to keep warm until you top the biscuits with it.