I’ve tried this recipe a number times, tweaking it a little bit every time either in my methods or in ingredients. This is the perfect balance of all. They are light and fluffy, yet give you the health benefits of the whole grains to keep you fuller for longer! 😀
They are wonderful as sausage egg biscuits, butter & jam or even plain! 😀
And if you remember, these were the biscuits that I froze for later. All you have to do is pop them in either the microwave or toaster oven from frozen and they’re as good as freshly baked!
P.S. These would be delicious along side these for your mom this Sunday on Mother’s Day! 😀 Don’t forget!
P.P.S. Our glider is supposed to arrive today! Yay! The nursery will be complete! 😀
Whole Grain Fluffy Biscuits
adapted from Food
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- 6 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 cup light buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes)
- Extra unbleached all-purpose flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In your Blendtec blender (or food processor), pulse the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and butter for a few seconds until the butter is broken up and the mixture is a meal consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl.
- Add in the buttermilk. Stir just until mixed with a spoon.
- Place the dough on a well floured surface.
- Knead the dough 4-5 times, flouring the top and bottom well between kneading (this will allow for fluffy layers).
- With your hands, push the dough out to about 1/2″ thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter (I used about a 3″ diameter cutter).
- Place on a baking sheet that has been covered with a silpat mat or parchment paper about 1″ apart from each other.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light golden brown on the top and bottom.
- Serve hot and thank me later! 😉
Servings: 1 dozen biscuits