We welcomed Liam Christopher Edwards into the world on May 31st. Be on the lookout for the birth story and cute pictures on Crackers & Carrots! 🙂
On another note, it’s June 4th. Today is my parent’s 29th wedding anniversary. 😀 Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!
This photo was taken at my bridal portrait shoot at the College of Charleston in 2008.
In honor of them, I’ve made these.
These brownies are the perfect balance of soft and chewy. I know my parents are definitely sweet and comforting, like these brownies! 😀
Anyway. Go say I love you to someone and make them these brownies. Added bonus points for making them 100% whole wheat like these, and I won’t tell anyone if you use a box mix either. 😉
Chocolate Crispy Brownies
adapted from Whole Wheat Provocative Brownies and Taste & See That the Lord is Good: A Collection of Recipes by Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee (I used decaf since I’m pregnant)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (for brownies)
- 1 (10 ounce) package of small marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (for topping)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover a 13″ x 9″ pan in non-stick foil and spray with canola oil (for easy removal). Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the olive oil, eggs, coffee, sugar, and vanilla extract together.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir together.
- In a microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate chips (stirring every 30 seconds until melted).
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour into the pan and bake for about 20 minutes, until done.
- Place the marshmallows evenly on top of the brownies.
- Bake until the marshmallows are melty, 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan over low heat, combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Stir frequently.
- Once everything has melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cereal.
- Spoon over the brownies and marshmallows. Swirl into the marshmallows.
- Let chill in the fridge until set, about 45 minutes.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
Note: You can always use your favorite brownie mix in place of the brownie layer too! 😀
These sound super fabulous! And happy anniversary to your parents – you were a gorgeous bride!
I can’t wait to see all the pics of little Liam! These brownies will have to hold me over 🙂
Congratulation on Liam’s safe arrival, can’t wait to hear more about him! And happy anniversary to your parents – June is going to be a fun month for your family!
All the best to your parents and to you of course!
Congratulations to your parents, and super big congrats to you on the adorable new addition to the family! I can’t wait for the Chocolate and Crackers post. 🙂
Congratulations on your new addition.
Huge congrats on Liam, I love the name! Can’t wait to see the pics 🙂 And congrats to your parents too, brownies are the perfect way to celebrate!
Happy anniversary to your parents! Love the photo from your portrait shoot. So precious!
Congrats to your parents. I was reading the recipe and it really looked familiar 🙂 then realized it was coming from my original brownie recipe, thanks. Very tasty adaptation. I love the rice crispie topping. They look really yummy!!
Aww what a pretty picture and happy anniversary to them. I can’t wait to hear about your birth story and see lots of pictures of little Liam! I hope you’re all doing well and settling in.
Congratulations on your baby’s arrival and also a happy anniversary to your parents! These brownies look decadent and perfect for that chocolate craving. 🙂
fun recipe – i like the addition of the rice krispies!
These look amazing. Happy anniversary to your mom and dad! And can’t wait to see more of Liam!
Big week for everyone… births, anniversaries, brownies. I’d say you deserve a nap 😉
Congratulations to both you and your parents. And you were such a pretty bride! These brownies look great and I love that they’re 100% whole wheat. 🙂 I can’t wait for the birth story!
Oooh – I love this idea! And LOVE seeing the wedding photo! So fun. 🙂
so happy for you and your family!! congrats again 🙂 these brownies are a great way to celebrate..i love the layers!! xoxo
Congrats again, Caroline!! Can’t wait to hear more about Liam:-)
Congrats, Caroline! I have 3 kids, and it’s such a blessing! Crazy-busy but happy 🙂 And these choco crispy brownies are just what I need after a loooooooong day! Dee-lish!!! By the way, I’m new to your blog and I’m enjoying it! I have to catch up with your older posts soon…