One of the first things I ever bought from Trader Joes was the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Since we don’t have a Trader Joes *yet* (we’re getting one this fall…eeeee…and a whole foods!), I needed to make them myself. Needless to say, they were a complete success.
They’re perfectly dark and bitter & sweet and nutty. Best part about it, is they don’t have crazy preservatives like the typical Reese’s cups. ANNNDDD, you can make them how you like them. More peanut butter, more chocolate…more of both! 😉
Equally sweet, we’re headed to Charleston to have some family time before school starts! Yay…chocolate and family! Almost as good as chocolate and peanut butter.
Just kidding. 😉
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
peanut butter filling adapted from Joy of Baking
- 1 1/2 cups 60% cacao Ghirardelli chocolate chips
- 20 Wilton 1 inch diameter candy cups
- small food brush (I just use a specific paint brush only for food)
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter (I use Skippy)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate.
- Pour about 3/4-1 teaspoon of the chocolate in each candy cup.
- Paint the candy cups with the paint brush.
- Place the chocolate coated candy cups on baking sheet.
- Freeze for about 10 minutes until hard.
- Meanwhile, combine the peanut butter and butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for about 30 seconds, just until the butter has melted.
- Stir to combine and add in the powdered sugar.
- Scoop out about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter filling into each candy cup.
- Pour the remaining melted chocolate over the peanut butter filling.
- Freeze again for about 30 minutes until harden.
You are a super woman to be making Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups with a newborn! They look perfect 🙂
These look amazing!
These are beautiful! I love the TJ version and can’t wait to try these. Pinned!
Yay for getting a TJ’s! I do about 95% of our grocery shopping there. These are so fun!
I am just obsessed with your photos! Oh, and the food:)
Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!
I cannot tell you how long I’ve been meaning to make my own peanut butter cups. And yours look absolutely perfect.
These look darling. Great combo of flavors, chocolate and peanut butter, a world favorite!!
Oh yum, you’re killing me. They sound sooo delish, I wish you could tweet them to me now! LOL!
Oh my goodness these look divine!
PS a brand new whole foods and TJs all at once, amazing!
These look so delicious! You can never go wrong with PB cups. So good,
I’ve never been to Trader Joe’s. 🙁 My city is getting one next month, but I’m over here now so it doesn’t even matter. Booo.
These look so cute! I hope you have a nice time in Charleston. 🙂
Oh yes! Peanut butter cups are one of my favorite candies. And to make them at home with dark chocolate? Yes please! Already in love! 🙂
This is just dangerous! PB and chocolate is one of my favorites combos! 🙂
These look great! Have you tried making them with bigger molds? If so, do they turn out as beautifully as these?
I haven’t tried to make them bigger, but I bet they would turn out great! You’d just have to increase the amount of chocolate and peanut butter! 😀