There’s something just so comforting about lasagna. Even though it’s still summer, there’s no rule that says you can’t enjoy your fresh summer veggies in a lasagna!
After watching a Giada at Home episode on Hulu (my guilty pleasure), where Giada prepared individual lasagna’s for the Duke and Dutchess of Cambridge, I decided it’d be fun to try making some individual ones myself!
With the makings of a lasagna that doesn’t include sauce inside, you allow for what Dr. Angotti, the creator of Rose Romano’s Italian Peppers Marinara Sauce, originally intended: as a gourmet topping. Dr. Angotti tries to keep with Italian tradition and teaches us not to smother our food with sauce, but rather compliment it with the high quality and delicious flavors of the sauce.
The Italian Peppers Sauce is light and tasty, but is complimented by the rich flavors of the bell peppers. Absolutely delicious!
Also, it always seems like when I eat lasagna, it’s so delicious that my eyes are bigger than my stomach, serving myself too much. With individual portions, you can avoid this problem. 😀 Watch your waistline, so you can have more dessert, right? 😉
Anyway, I made the recipe in two ways, individual style and traditional big pan style. So, it’s up to you how you make it. In the meantime, scroll down to the bottom of this page for a chance to win some of these gourmet toppings that Rose Romano has to offer!
Summer Squash Lasagna
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces low fat ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- pepper, to taste
- 2 yellow squash, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 jar marinara
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Boil the noodles according to the packaged instructions. Set out the noodles on aluminum foil to cool off.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Sauté the squash, zucchini, onion, and garlic in the olive oil until tender.
- Now layer and bake the lasagna.
- Individual White Lasagna
- Spray 8 ramekins with canola oil.
- Cut each lasagna noodles in half, laying each half in one of the ramekins.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture on top of the lasagna noodles.
- Spoon in some sautéed vegetables.
- Spoon in another tablespoon of the ricotta mixture.
- Lay two pieces of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly light brown.
- Spoon with heated marinara sauce when serving.
- Layered Vegetable Lasagna
- Spray a 9″ square pan or a 9″x13″ pan with canola oil.
- Spread marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Lay out a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread a layer of ricotta cheese mixture.
- Spread a layer of vegetables.
- Dollop with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used up (It took 2-3 layers for me).
- Bake for 1 hour or until bubbly and slightly browned.
- Individual White Lasagna
Winner: Danica from It’s Progression Not Perfection
Prize: A four jar gift package of Rose Romano’s Italian Peppers Marinara Sauce.
To Enter (Mandatory): Leave a comment telling me what you’re having for dinner tonight or just say hey. Feel free to leave links for recipes!
Deadline: September 1, 2012 at 11:59am Eastern Time
Extra Entries (leave a separate comment for each):
- Like chocolate & carrots on facebook.
- Follow chocolate & carrots on twitter.
- Tweet about this post saying something like: Enter to win @roseromanos gourmet marinara valued at $70 from @chocandcarrots! http://bit.ly/NS0VPW #giveaway
- Like Rose Romano on facebook.
- Follow Rose Romano on twitter.
That’s a total of 6 chances to win! Good luck everyone!