You could say I’ve gone a bit banana crazy. It’s not an exaggeration that I have a banana smoothie every day. Yep. And now I’ve gone and made banana bread.
I’ve made banana bread before that was moist and full of banana flavor, but this yeasted bread has just a light hint of banana. It is delicious!
Also, even though banana bread is not a typical autumn recipe, it’s great to be able to bake bread in the fall. I love the smell of homemade bread flowing through the house and heating up the oven not causing the house to get 115°F. 😉
So, I say you give this bread a try and enjoy it for a snack or yummy breakfast.
Oh, and funny story. I was going to make french toast with this loaf, but it just so happens that I baked this loaf the day I was admitted into the hospital to give birth to Liam. I was planning on the french toast part on May 31st, the day Liam was born.
So, yes. I hobbled around the kitchen baking and shooting photos of this deliciousness when I was 40 weeks pregnant. 😉
Whole Grain Yeasted Banana Bread
adapted from With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached bread flour
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, stir together the yeast, honey, canola oil, and warm water. Set sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Stir in the banana, egg, and vanilla extract.
- With your dough hook on low, add in the remaining ingredients until the dough comes together.
- Spread the dough into a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan that has been sprayed with canola oil.
- Cover and set in a warm place until it has risen above the edge of the pan (1 1/2 hours was too long for mine. I bet 45 minutes would be perfect).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and it sounds hollow when you tap the top.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.