There’s a big debate out there as to what ingredients are considered ‘paleo’. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the paleo diet, the basic principle is to only eat what cavemen would be able to find and eat. Since I don’t follow the paleo diet, but have friends who do, I’m often making recipes for them. I love a good challenge!
But, when I went to make this casserole, I searched all over the internet to see if it was acceptable to eat potatoes. Well, it seems to be a big debate…as are numerous ingredients like dairy and even maple syrup. I’ve even heard from folks that you can eat sweet potatoes, but not potatoes? I thought that they were both potatoes (granted, I usually lean only towards sweet potatoes because of how the carbohydrates in white potatoes break down in your body to sugar). I guess everyone has their own version of the paleo diet that they are comfortable to follow!
Anyway. The purpose of this explanation is to emphasize that this meal may not be paleo, but to me, it’s pretty darn caveman! And if this meal is any indication of how delicious cavemen can eat, they can cook in my kitchen any day.
Oh, and word to the wise, be careful when you use a mandoline. Logan and I both sliced our fingers on it making this dish! It was worth it though, this casserole is delicious!
Chorizo Caveman Casserole
based on Poet in the Pantry
- 3 white potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound chorizo
- 16 ounces chopped kale
- 2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese (cheddar would be good too)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Using a mandolin, slice the potatoes into thin circles with the skin on.
- Layer the potato slices in the bottom of a casserole dish, 9″ x 13″ pan will work.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and dust with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the chorizo.
- Once the chorizo is cooked, add in the kale and simmer on low until the potatoes are done.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and top with the chorizo and kale.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!