It’s always been canned in my world…until now. And canned no more, because I’m convinced that homemade is always better in this case!
Especially when eaten along side grilled bratwurst and zucchini, baked beans enter a whole new level. Oh. My. Goodness. Smoky heaven.
If you’ve never tried making your own baked beans, I highly recommend it. It takes a little planning ahead because you’ll need to soak your beans the night before, but the planning pays off. The sweet smell of baked beans wafting through the house all day long is magnificent.
So, have you ever made homemade baked beans?
Also, what’s your favorite thing to eat with baked beans? Feel free to leave recipe links, if you’ve got them!
Homemade Baked Beans
adapted from How Sweet It Is
- 1 pound dry navy beans
- 7 slices of cooked bacon, broken into pieces (I didn’t use the fat pieces)
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce (I used hickory and brown sugar flavored)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- The night before, soak the navy beans in water (for at least 8 hours).
- Drain the beans.
- Put the beans and enough water to cover the beans in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion and garlic in the remaining bacon grease (or in some olive oil until tender.
- Place the cooked beans, bacon, sautéed onion and garlic, and the remaining ingredients in the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook on keep warm for 1-2 hours, or until you’re ready to eat!