I haven’t always been a fan of coconut.
There’s a trick I play with my mind. I’ve always told myself that I didn’t like ingredients that are bad for me. Well, there are exceptions to that rule…you know, chocolate, sugar, etc. But, ingredients that I could live without because they’re not the best for me, I trick myself into thinking that I don’t like them. Genius, right? 😉
When I was taking an aerobics class in college, our instructor told us that coconut was awful for you. I went with it and decided that I didn’t like coconut or even almond joy candy bars anymore.
With the recent boom of coconut oil and milk in the health world, I’ve taken a liking to coconut again. As you can see from this article, coconut has been going back and forth from the good and bad-for-lists for a while. Health experts can’t even decide.
So, I say everything in moderation.
These bars are a great way way get your moderation of coconut…and a few other goodies. 😉
Don’t you love all of the gooey-ness and beautiful layers in these walnut joy bars???
They couldn’t be any easier to whip up either. Nothing like a quick dessert!
I hope you enjoy this spin on the classic almond joy candy bar, deconstructed into a bar!
Feel free to use another nut in place of walnuts, too. I love walnuts for their anti-inflammatory nature, high omega-3 fats, and light crunch. But, I bet pecans, sliced almonds, or even peanuts would be delicious! 😀
Walnut Joy Bars
adapted from Eat, Live, Run
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 package of low fat graham crackers (8 graham cracker sheets total), crushed
- 1 cup chopped unsalted walnuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a 8″ x 8″ pan with non-stick foil.
- Pour the melted butter in the pan.
- Sprinkle the crushed graham crackers over the butter.
- Sprinkle the walnuts, then the chocolate chips, then the coconut on top.
- Evenly pour the condensed milk on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow the bars to cool for at least 2 hours before serving.