Peppermint is slowly but surely becoming a delicious seasonal ingredient for me. I mentioned before that the flavor wasn’t one of my favorites, but when paired with chocolate, it’s making its way up the ladder!
Go, peppermint, go!
I knew it’d be so much fun to use the Peppermint Chocolate Bark that I made a couple of weeks ago in something extra special.
With cheesecake being one of my favorite desserts (next to anything chocolate, of course), I knew this lighter version would be a hit with the chunk of chocolate bark in it…and I was right. It’s like a chocolate peppermint sandwich in cheesecake form. You’ve got the chocolate crust and the chocolate drizzle on top, sandwiching the peppermint and chocolate chunk cheesecake in the middle. I always knew the filling was the best part, just like in oreo cookies. Please tell me I’m not the only one who takes out the oreo filling, making a ball of it to eat after the cookie part is gone. Saving the best for last, I guess!
Be sure to check out the other peppermint goodie for the season, Triple Chocolate Peppermint Biscotti!
What’s your favorite peppermint dessert to make or eat????
Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake
inspired by Baked By Rachel and adapted from Chocolate & Carrots
- 16 oreos
- 2 sheets low fat graham crackers
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 (8 ounce) packages 1/3 fat cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup chopped peppermint chocolate bark
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Prepare a springform pan by covering the bottom and sides with aluminum foil. This is to prevent water getting into the cheesecake later.
- For the crust, combine the oreos and graham crackers in a blender or food processor such as a Blendtec.
- Mix the crushed oreos and graham crackers with the butter.
- Push into the bottom of the springform pan and just slightly up the sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place the baked crust into a large baking dish.
- Bring a pot of water to a bowl. Set aside.
- Bring the oven to 450°F.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese until loose (just a few seconds).
- Beat in the sugar and flour, just until blended.
- Beat in the eggs, one egg at a time, beating in between.
- Beat in the Greek yogurt and peppermint extract.
- Fold in the chocolate bark.
- Pour into the crust (it’s okay if it is still warm).
- Pour the water in the large baking dish surrounding the springform pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 250°F and bake for another 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, take off the aluminum foil.
- Using a knife, loosen the cake from the rim of the pan.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool for about 5-10 minutes until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Serve when cool either plain or with toppings of your choice.