Someone must stop me.
I can’t seem to get enough monkey bread lately! It must be the holiday season or maybe just the thought of these little sweet dough balls making my taste buds so happy!
Remember a few weeks ago when I made a semi-homemade type of monkey bread using multi-grain biscuits? So good! Well, this recipe is purely homemade and uses whole wheat flour!
This is a great breakfast option for Christmas next week. Just make it the day before and pop it in a warm oven to reheat it a little bit, then pour a little maple syrup on the top to re-hydrate it. You won’t be sorry…you may just have to put on your stretchy pants on Christmas day. 😉
As a little added bonus, you can get a coupon for $0.40 off Fleischmann’s® Active Dry Yeast. Yay for saving money!
I love how easy it to make yeasted dough in your stand mixer. You can even let the mixer knead the dough for you! Here’s a video that explains it:
I hope you have something delicious planned for your holiday breakfast!
Have you ever made monkey bread?
Whole Wheat Pull Apart Coffee Cake
- 1 envelope Fleischmann’s® Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- (sugar blend) 1 cup sugar
- (sugar blend) 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- (sugar blend) 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- (sugar blend) 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Stir the yeast and warm water together for a few seconds to dissolve. Let it rest for 5 minutes to proof.
- Heat the milk and butter until warm (100-110°F).
- Pour the yeast mixture, milk/butter mixture, whole wheat flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute until combined.
- Gradually add enough all-purpose flour until soft dough forms.
- Put your dough hook onto the stand mixer and use it to knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place about 90 minutes, until doubled.
- Spray a fluted tube pan with canola oil spray.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Form 24 small balls of dough from each half, a total of 48 equal-sized balls.
- Mix together the sugar mixture by combining the sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.
- Dip balls in melted butter and roll in sugar and nut mixture.
- Place the balls in the prepared pan.
- Combine leftover butter and sugar mixture and pour over dough.
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately invert pan onto plate and allow to rest 1 minute before removing pan.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
I have never made monkey bread, and I wanted to bake something whole-wheat. So this is the perfect post for me!
This sounds unreal! Love this idea!
Love this variation to monkey bread!
I love getting a little health into my dessert…looks fabulous!
I love that you’ve provided both a super simple not totally homemade version and this version. I like both! And I love these pictures. It even looks a little 4th of July-ish. 🙂