Last week, one of my sisters, Margaret, came to visit. We went on a baking rampage and in the process, made this toffee. I have to say, we both have a raging sweet tooth and luckily this was the cure…for now, at least! 😉
The apple flavor is ever so subtle and the toffee just melts in your mouth along side the chocolate. It was our first attempt at making toffee, so be prepared like us, for your eyes to open a little wider at all the butter and sugar!
I’m so sorry for the lack of health in this recipe, but I’m afraid there was just no going back once we melted that butter! Haha. I hope you enjoy this super easy and quick recipe!
Chocolate Covered Apple Cider Toffee
slightly adapted from bran appetit
- 2 cups 60% cacao chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 cup of the chocolate chips until melted, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Spread the melted chocolate on the parchment paper. Set aside to harden.
- In a large sauce pan on medium-high heat, combine the butter, sugar, cider and salt.
- Bring to a boil and using a candy thermometer, allow the toffee to reach 258°F and slightly light brown.
- Remove from the heat and pour on top of the first layer of chocolate. Quickly spread evenly.
- Allow the toffee to set for about 30 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips. Spread on top of the toffee.
- Allow the chocolate covered toffee to harden and set for 1-2 hours.
- Break into bite sized pieces and store in an air tight container.
looks perfect 🙂 so glad you liked the recipe! that toffee is one of our favorites
I’m so glad I’m not the only one holding onto some fall flavors. These sound great.
I’m completely intrigued by the idea of this. If only I could taste some 😉
Seriously, I’m a toffee addict. This flavor sounds amazing!
Yeah, completely agree with you! This looks perfect, lack of health and all! 😀
This toffee sounds like such a delight!
This sounds wonderfully addicting! 🙂
This. Sounds. AMAZING. Feel free to come over to my place anytime for a baking rampage 😉
Haha, I totally remember my surprise at just how much butter and sugar went into toffee the first time I made it 🙂 This looks awesome, love the flavor combo!