I may have mentioned it before, but I have never really been a beef eater. I grew up as a flexitarian, only eating poultry and seafood as a source of meat. I was always perfectly content not eating any pork or beef. However, literally just within this last few months, I’ve had been eating, let alone making, a few beef and pork dishes. What?!? My husband is in heaven.
Well, it certainly helps that we just got a Whole Foods and they carry local and organic meats, that make me feel a little better about eating them. But, also that I now have emeals to give me great and quick recipes. I can’t even tell you how nice it is not to have to really think about dinners any more.
In addition to my weekly print outs of meal plans, it’s also helpful to have this list handy when shopping:
This way, I’m more able to stick with my list and not go for the splurge items that increase my bill. Here’s the pdf, if you’d like to print it out yourself. Also, if you’re interested in subscribing to emeals, just enter the code: newyear, to get 15% off. Shaweet!
Okay, so back to the beef. This meal is quick easy. Just throw it together in the morning…which always weirds me out smelling dinner foods at breakfast time, but whatever…and by dinner time, it’s ready to serve! This Italian twist on a pot roast is delicious too. I love that you can have pasta and pot roast. Plus, the added veggies to spruce up the dish is just a healthified bonus!
Enjoy and happy Monday! Weee!
Italian Pot Roast
adapted from eMeals – Whole Foods for Two
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5-2 lbs boneless chuck roast
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 Italian seasoning
- 1/2 ounce dry brown gravy mix packet
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2-3 cups frozen whole wheat cheese ravioli
- 1 cup frozen broccoli
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Place the mushrooms and sliced onion in the bottom of your crock pot.
- On medium-high heat, brown the roast in the olive oil for about 4 minutes on each side, sprinkling each side with pepper, until browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the Italian seasoning, gravy mix, beef broth and mariana sauce together. Set aside.
- Place the browned roast on top of the mushrooms and onion in the crock pot.
- Pour the broth mixture over the roast.
- Cook on low for 9-10 hours.
- Spoon out the fat from the top of the juice around the roast.
- Stir the tomato paste into the crock pot.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the corn starch and water. Stir into the juice around the meat.
- Set the crock pot on high for 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the ravioli, broccoli and peas in the boiling water for 6-8 (depending on your packaged instructions).
- Serve up the meal!
i love the addition of the mini ravioli’s…i don’t eat red meat but enjoy making crock pot beef meals for my hubby and kiddos.
I just love crock pot meals, and pot roast is one of my husbands favorite meals ever! I need to make this one for him for sure!!!
I haven’t had pot roasted in years! Which is really a tragedy because I love it. This one looks especially delicious! Love that it’s done in the crock pot.
What a delicious looking pot roast! Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite winter comfort foods… I’d love to try your recipe!
I rarely look at beef and say, “Oh, yum!” but I did when I saw your photo. This week will have your pot roast on the menu. Thanks!