I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of a good soup during the winter. Well, I’m kid of a sucker for soup all year round, but winter soup is especially comforting.
Since Liam is starting to enjoy more finger foods and I’m making his puréed foods, we have an abundance of fresh produce laying around. This soup comes in handy when you need to get rid of those last few things in your pantry and fridge before the next grocery run!
Having a few jars of different tomatoes on hand in the pantry always makes for a great way to be creative on those weeknights when you don’t have a clue what to make for dinner. Beautiful things can come out of a can of tomatoes…this soup being a perfect example. Here are just a sample of more great weeknight soups:
- Quick Tortilla Soup
- Fiesta Black Bean Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Winter Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Mini Ravioli Soup
Soups coming out of my ears! 🙂 Also, if you go ahead and make a double batch, you can always freeze the half for a rainy day!
Oh, and if you’d like a quick dessert idea…I’ve made a microwave chocolate mug cake over at Blissfully Domestic!
Italian Sausage Soup
inspired by Gimme Some Oven
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounce package italian sausage (I used al fresco fully cooked sausage)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) entire can TuttoRosso Peeled Plum Shaped Tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or chicken broth concentrate packets
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup macaroni noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion and sausage in the olive oil until light brown (sausage) and translucent (onions).
- Meanwhile, quarter the plum tomatoes. Set aside the tomatoes and the juice from the can. Set aside.
- Add in the garlic, letting sauté for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, water, bouillon cubes, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the noodles and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the noodles are cooked.
- Once the noodles are done, add in the spinach until wilted.
- Serve warm with salt, pepper and parmesan or mozzarella cheeses.
my favorite comfort food is definitely mac & cheese!
My favorite comfort food is a nice bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup!
Mac and cheese is a great comfort food, but as far as homemade, I love chicken noodle soup!
Creamy mushroom soup!
Macaroni and cheese!
I know it is weird but my comfort food is an everything bagel, scooped out, well toasted with scallion cream cheese.
I’d say mac & cheese.
Homemade bread as well as mashed potatoes and gravy!
It would have to be soup or maybe Mac and Cheese!
My favorite comfort food is a grilled cheese sandwich.
Hands down it’s Mac n cheese!
Looks great–and so colorful too!
Favorite comfort food has got to be Chips and Queso (does that count?!) 🙂
Mac and cheese or mashed potatoes…no gravy.
mac and cheese! anything really creamy, cheesy, carby hmm
Chicken and dumplings!
My favorite comfort food is mac and cheese.
spaghetti all carbonara. hands down.
Your Banana Oatmeal smoothie recipe is my new favorite comfort food!
My favorite comfort food is soup actually. I eat so much of it in the winter…this one looks really tasty.
mac and cheese
Chocolate is my comfort food, or ice cream too.
My favorite comfort food is definitely beef stew!
My favorite comfort food would have to be vanilla frozen yogurt. 🙂
pasta of any kind…spaghetti with marinara is my go to, but I am also crazy fond of mac and cheese
Just made an excellent lentil loaf tonight.. comforting and healthy!
Mac & Cheese-Hands Down! Oooey, Gooey, homemade with bread crumbs on top. Hmmmmm!
definitely some kind of meat and potatoes!
oh my gosh that photo the soup looks so bright & fresh…i want that for lunch tomorrow…all the ingredients sound so good….and i remember so pureed foods for my boys…my vitamix never stopped!
It is such a hard decision when it comes to my favorite food bc I love food!! 🙂 I think my newfound fav is sushi!!!
A cheese sandwich.
Fav comfort food? Grilled sharp cheddar cheese sandwich + roasted tomato soup!
Love Italian soups! Our comfort food is cheesy pasta dishes. And chocolate cake for me 🙂
toasted cheese sandwich
I can’t get enough soup right now! Looks delish!!
Mac and cheese, or ice cream 🙂
fried chicken and mashed potatoes!
Chocolate lava cake. Sweets over savory any day. 🙂
Mac & Cheese, or Mashed Potatoes & Gravy. CARBS
My favorite comfort food is chicken noodle soup made from scratch!
I’d have to say a nice homeade quiche!
Homemade macaroni and cheese.
chicken pot pie
Favorite comfort food is homemade vegetable bean soup.