I don’t know if it’s because of Valentine’s day coming soon, that we had a record warm temperatures in January or just because they love us that our grocery stores would be having sales on strawberries!
No matter what the reason, I’m loving the oodles of strawberries that we’ve been consuming recently….and relatively cheaply. We’ve been paying $2 for a 1/2 quart of strawberries. What are prices like in your area? Just curious.
Anyway. With the abundance of strawberries…especially good for chocolate dipping or throwing on top of cakes…I decided it’d be nice to have a festive quick breakfast for the weekday Valentine’s Day.
Muffins it is!
Whole Wheat Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or mini chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray your muffin tin with canola oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flours and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the honey, brown sugar, applesauce and egg white.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips. Feel free to save a few chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Evenly disperse the batter between 10 muffin spots in your tin.
- (Optional) Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Miniature chocolate chips look best here.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin.
- Remove from the muffin tin and either eat right away or let cool completely on a cooling rack.
Servings: 10 muffins
Glad you made these WW. 🙂 I once made them with blueberries, white WW flour, and white chocolate. Amazing! Yours look wonderful.
Thank you Sally and thank you for the great recipe! I always constantly drool over your recipes. 🙂
Woah look at the center of that muffin! Totally want to reach through the screen and grab it 😉 Jealous of your cheap strawberry prices. I’m sure they’re substantially higher here because of the distance they have to travel but we’re still enjoying them!
Delicious! Strawberry prices have been about the same around here too. Love the slight taste of summer in the middle of winter!
These sound incredible!!!! Love baking with apple sauce.
Yes, strawberry prices are totally reasonable lately! Love these muffins, I bet they are so yummy!
These look fantastic! Great recipe and great photos!
Wow these look divine!! Can you come to my house and make these for me??
Haha…sure thing! 😉
We’ve been going through them like crazy!! My 20 month old eats them a quart a day! hah These muffins look insane! That middle..oh yum!
I want to eat these muffins right through my screen. SO yummy!
I have never thought to bake muffins with strawberries. How festive and beautiful! We are ordering our strawberries for our farm soon, I can’t wait to eat them fresh!!!
Ahh…I bet strawberries freshly picked will be amazing!
These are my kind of muffins! Love that they are whole wheat and loaded with strawberries!
Strawberries have been on sale here too, about $2.50. Can’t wait to have some chocolate dipped tonight although I might have to save some to try these muffins!
I wish I could find strawberries that gorgeous around here right now! Our prices will be high for at least a few more months but definitely putting these muffins on my to-do list for later this spring 🙂
These look so yummy. Can’t wait to try. Also I need to keep my eyes open for the strawberries, I really have not seen them yet.
Oh if we could have a play date with our babes and you and i could kick back and devour a few of these beautiful muffins.
Honestly they look divine!
PS – our strawberries are crazy expensive at the moment, boo I say booooo. But I would totally spend the money to make these muffins, totally worth it 🙂
That would be spectacular! Someday we’ll have to do that. Mommies bake while our babies play. 🙂
P.S. Poop on expensive strawberries. I hope they go down in price soon!
Oh man!!! These couldnt look any better! Such a great combo 🙂
I love that you use applesauce in these! Once strawberries are cheaper around me I am making these!
Over here they’re $5/lb. But they’re no good. 🙁 I can’t wait for $1/lb strawberries that are so sweet that they taste like candy!
These muffins look great and I know if it’s a Sally recipe, it has to be good! Love that they’re whole wheat, too.
So funny, I just made some strawberry chocolate muffins too – ’tis the season I guess! Strawberries have been a great price here too, and full of flavour!
Yum these sound absolutely delicious, I love the look of the strawberry centre!