How can you resist a party in your mouth? It may not look like a party, but take a bite and you will see.
There are three layers:
- sweet potatoes
- creamy veggies
- turkey and cheese
My husband is the one that actually came up with the name, after one of his favorite classic comedies, ¡Three Amigos! with Steve Martin. Have you seen it? I’m not one for stupid humor comedies like it, but to each their own. 🙂 What I do know, is I love this casserole.
Just be careful with the mandoline when slicing the sweet potatoes. Ouchie!
Three Amigos Casserole
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound organic lean ground turkey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced with a mandoline
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 ounce package plain Philadelphia cooking creme
- 2 cups shredded 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brown the turkey in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once browned, set aside.
- Line the bottom of your casserole dish (9″ x 13″ will do) with the sliced sweet potato. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion, red pepper, jalapeño in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed vegetables, black beans, diced tomatoes, and cooking creme together. Spread over the cooked sweet potatoes.
- Evenly spread the browned turkey.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until light golden brown.
This dish looks soo scrumptious! I’ll have to see about making this sometime.
Oh, I was wondering, where did you get those cute little bowls with the handle on them? Do they have a special name that I could look them up by?
Thank so much.
Hey Christianna, I got those bowls at Crate & Barrel. If you search for them, they are called onion soup bowls. 😀
Mmmmm!! Love everything going on in this casserole. And the name — awesome. 🙂 One of my husband’s favorite movies, too!
I love all of the flavors in this, Caroline!!
Oh this looks amazing Caroline – all my favorite flavors!! I may have a hard time convincing the veggie-hating hubby but that’s ok, more for me! 🙂
What is it with husbands and goofy movies? Luckily, I am sure that my husband and I will agree on Tres Amigos Casserole for dinner!
Haha…that’s what I was wondering. Glad we can suffer together with our husband and their goofy movies! 😉
I just made this tonight and it was AMAZING!! I have to be creative in how I use sweet potatoes since I’m not a fan of plain ones, and this was the perfect way to use them! Thanks for sharing:)
Oh, yay! I’m so glad you liked it Melissa! I’m the same way with sweet potatoes. You can only make sweet potato fries so much. 😉 Thanks for the feedback!
Made this for dinner last night and we loved it!
What is cooking cream and where do u find it in grocery store
Hi Carol, the PHILADELPHIA cooking cream was this thinner cream cheese in a tub. I contacted Kraft and they notified me that they no longer make it but that you can substitute the tub of cooking cream for 1 tub (8 oz) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Spread and 2 Tbsp. milk. I hope that helps! Great question!