How can you resist a party in your mouth? It may not look like a party, but take a bite and you will see.
There are three layers:
- sweet potatoes
- creamy veggies
- turkey and cheese
My husband is the one that actually came up with the name, after one of his favorite classic comedies, ¡Three Amigos! with Steve Martin. Have you seen it? I’m not one for stupid humor comedies like it, but to each their own. 🙂 What I do know, is I love this casserole.
Just be careful with the mandoline when slicing the sweet potatoes. Ouchie!
Three Amigos Casserole
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound organic lean ground turkey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced with a mandoline
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 ounce package plain Philadelphia cooking creme
- 2 cups shredded 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brown the turkey in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once browned, set aside.
- Line the bottom of your casserole dish (9″ x 13″ will do) with the sliced sweet potato. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion, red pepper, jalapeño in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed vegetables, black beans, diced tomatoes, and cooking creme together. Spread over the cooked sweet potatoes.
- Evenly spread the browned turkey.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until light golden brown.