Lately, I’ve been in a breakfast rut filled with either pancakes or egg sandwiches. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both delicious and that’s probably why I can’t stop eating them for breakfast. But, sometimes you need a change.
This is a very, very good change.
I made these muffins for a sunday school class breakfast and they paired so beautifully with coffee. The coffee flavor in the muffins really brings out the chocolate chips and of course makes your sips of coffee just scrumptious!
Oh yes and p.s. we’re in the process of our own little change in the form of selling our house. Holy moly. I’m about to stress eat 9 of these muffins, baby. We had our home inspections yesterday and my stress level is currently a 9.9 out of 10.
Over and out.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Coffee Muffins
adapted from MyRecipes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips + more for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven 350°F.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with canola oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter, milk, egg, coffee and vanilla together.
- In a larger bowl, stir the remaining ingredients together.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Scoop evenly into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Note: You can make these as mini muffins with the oven temperature of 400F and baking for 15 minutes until brown around the edges.
Servings: 12 muffins or 28 mini muffins