We’re up bright and early this morning, traveling to Disney World to attend Food Blog Forum. Like I said yesterday, it’s a family adventure! I’m bringing my mom, husband and son for a jam-packed weekend of rides and learning.
It’ll be THE longest car ride of Liam’s life so far and I’m a bit nervous about that. He’s done 4 hours in the car before, but this is almost twice that. Luckily, we’ve rented a mini van (my husband swears we’ll never get one) and I’m looking forward to the ample space.
Thank goodness for donuts and coffee, because it’s going to be a long day. But, we decided to drive up a day early to leave us plenty of time to stretch our legs on the trip and chill out at our hotel once we arrive.
A good night sleep tonight and we’ll be ready to rock ‘n roll tomorrow!
I’m so excited I’m about to pee in my pants. But, not so excited where I can’t pause and tell you about these beauties that I’ve been teasing you with.
They’re 100% whole wheat, but don’t taste like it.
They’re full of fruit, but taste as sweet as ever.
They’re packed with antioxidants from the dark chocolate.
Boom. The perfect breakfast.
I saved you a bite…
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Donuts
slightly adapted from Barbara Bakes
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt, such as Chobani
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup 60% cacao Ghirardelli chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Spray the donut pan(s) with a little bit of canola oil spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the banana, yogurt, sugar, butter and eggs together with an electric beater or in your stand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together until combined.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, until combined.
- Stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a gallon-sized ziplock bag, cutting a small hole in one end.
- Squeeze the batter into the donut mold, filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the donuts to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack. Note: If you only had one donut pan, once the donuts are on the cooling rack, simply run the warm donut pan under cold water to cool to room temperature. Wipe the pan down with a paper towel until clean. Repeat from step 8.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate chips, stirring every 20 minutes until melted.
- Once the donuts are cool enough to handle, dip the tops into the melted chocolate.
Servings: 12 donuts
Mmm these are dreamy! Love this idea!
Oh how delicious these look to me this morning!!! Yum.
Holy chocolate! I am heading over to Amazon to browse donut pans. If you have a recommendation, please let me know 🙂
Hey Dina! I have the Wilton 6 donut pan. Happy Baking!
So glad you enjoyed the recipe. I’ll have to try them with whole wheat flour and chocolate. Have fun at FBF. Wish I was going too.
These look so so good and I love that they’re whole wheat – I’ve been trying to use it more and more in my baking! Can’t wait to see you at FBF!! 🙂
OMG have so much fun! I want to go! 🙂 I love these donuts!
oh my gosh! my son is going to LOVE these!!
Yum yum yum! I’m practically dying from those pictures! Love how they’re healthy too!
Aww, thank you Nessa! They don’t taste one bit healthy. That’s how delicious they are! 🙂
These sound yummy! Love that they’re whole wheat and don’t taste like it. Banana bread and banana stuff is so great for that. 🙂
Can’t wait to see your FBF post!
These sound incredible Caroline! Yum! I always love ‘healthied up’ versions of favourite treats. This is probably the best baked donut recipe I’ve seen so far… they look deliciously moist and studded with chocolate chips! Mmmm! 🙂 This is my first visit to Chocolate and Carrots. Love it so far! Can’t wait to read more posts x
Welcome! 😀 You’re in the right place for healthified treats!
looks so delicious, i love the combo of banana and chocolate, lethal. i make all my baked goods with whole wheat.
That’s awesome! Good for you. And I completely agree. There’s something just so satisfying about banana and chocolate together. 🙂