I have had an absolute blast having Erin (Texanerin Baking) stay with me and my family for the past week. If you’ve been following on instagram/facebook/twitter, you will have noticed quite a bit of baking…abnormal amounts of sugar means we’ve been bouncing off the walls and chatting like we’re 16 year olds again!
We were lucky enough to be able to celebrate Erin’s birthday while she’s been here and to do so, we HAD to have a dessert…
…so we made a pie. A frozen pie.
It’s a genius way to have a quick dessert ready, easily made ahead and such a show stopper!
But, if you were wondering, the first piece is always the hardest to get out, hence the crumb-age on the plate. But all of the other pieces came out beautifully…and now it’s gone. We licked our plates of every last drop of this frozen pie.
After spotting almond milk ice cream in Whole Foods, I was inspired to make a gluten and dairy free dessert. I stocked up my cart with all things chocolaty and free of gluten and dairy! 🙂
You couldn’t tell that it was not full-on ice cream, oreos and chocolate chips. The only thing I could taste was a little bit of graininess from the gluten/dairy free oreos. That was the result from the gluten free flours in the cookies. No worries, it was delicious! If I had to go gluten/dairy free, I would be devouring this pie on a weekly basis. 😉 Yum!
Be sure to check out more of the recipes Erin and I made over the next couple of weeks! In the meantime, enjoy this lovely little close up shot. Thank you macro lens.
Frozen Triple Chocolate Pie
- 2 cups finely crushed chocolate cookies (gluten free, dairy free) I used Mi-Del.
- 1/4 cup unsalted Earth Balance butter, melted
- 1 pint chocolate almond milk ice cream (gluten free, dairy free) I used Almond Dream.
- 1 pint cappuccino swirl almond milk ice cream (gluten free, dairy free) I used Almond Dream.
- 8 ounces gluten free, dairy free oreos (I used KinniToos)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (gluten free, dairy free, soy free) I used Enjoy Life.
- In your food processor or blender (I use a Blendtec), finely crush the chocolate cookies for your crust. Blend in the melted butter and stir until combined. Press into your 9″ pie pan.
- Thaw out the ice cream until you can easily work with it. Once thawed, in a large bowl, stir the chocolate and cappuccino ice creams together until combined. Crush the oreos and stir them into the ice cream, along with the mini chocolate chips.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into the pie pan.
- (Optional) Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top for decoration.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.