The first official day of summer is almost here. However, where I live in South Carolina, the heat is in full force and we’re reaching record high daily temperatures. So, it’s already summer in my book! And summer means frozen treats!
While as I kid, I loved those ‘freezies’. You know, the long tubes of frozen sugar water. 😉 Well, it’s time to step up the flavorfulness and color and use REAL ingredients to make popsicles.
I can’t tell you how much having a popsicle mold has come in handy on these hot summer days.
As far as popsicles go, I usually go with strictly fruit and juice, but this time I decided to make a little bit of homemade simple syrup. With the subtle, but not tart lemon flavor and the mild blueberry flavor, it was just natural to want to add a little bust of flavor.
Let me just say, they are amazing! I literally only have one left in my freezer.
Here are a couple more popsicle ideas to start your summer:
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry
- Greek Yogurt
- Blood Orange
- Pina Colada
- Strawberry Lemonade
Which one sounds best to you? Lemon Blueberry, right? 😉
You could even blend up a little extra and freeze them in ice cube trays to add to your drinks this summer! I mean, hello, Raspberry Peach ice cubes in iced tea. Genius. McCormick is just pure genius.
Lemon Blueberry Popsicles
adapted from McCormick
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick pure lemon extract
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir the sugar and water together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the warm sugar water into your blender, along with the blueberries and lemon extract. Blend until puréed completely.
- Pour into popsicle molds and stick popsicle sticks in them.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours or until completely frozen.
Servings: 8 popsicles