Every summer growing up, we’d venture down to Hilton Head Island, old fashioned ice cream maker in tow. My mom would mix up a GIANT batch of her homemade ice cream custard, throw it in the fridge to chill and then we’d get to choose what flavor ice cream we wanted it to turn into! The majority of the time, it would stay vanilla, but our second favorite was peach!
When we were at the beach just a couple of weeks ago, we tried to make it peach flavored, but the peaches just weren’t ripe enough yet. So, for kickers and to capture the wide-eyes of the 8 children in the house, I decided I’d stash a box of oreos HIGH up in the pantry for this special frozen treat.
While everyone was out at the beach, Liam and I stayed back and made this delectable cookies & cream ice cream! All 12 of us got a little taste of the ice cream. 🙂
If cookies & cream isn’t your ice cream style, I’ve made a few other recipes with my more modern KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment:
- Dark Chocolate Chunk & Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt
- Peach Cobbler Frozen Yogurt
- Tart Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
- Cinnamon Ice Cream
Homemade Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 Oreo cookies, broken into pieces
- Fine Strainer or Cheesecloth
- Ice Cream Maker
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg yolks and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, heavy cream and whole milk together.
- Once the milk mixture begins to simmer, while whisking, pour a small stream of the hot milk into the egg yolks until the yolks are warmed and liquid.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the sauce pan with the remaining milk mixture and continue to whisk over medium heat, until thickened.
- Pour the custard through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a large bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place the custard bowl into a large ice water bath, stirring occasionally to help cool the custard down.
- Once the custard is a safe temperature (almost room temperature), place plastic wrap over the top of the custard and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until chilled.
- Using your ice cream maker, churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the ice cream is ready, pour half of it into a freezer safe container. Layer the broken oreos on the ice cream.
- Pour the remaining ice cream on top, spreading to make an even surface.
- Freeze until ready to eat.
Servings: 2 1/2 cups of ice cream
Are you ready for another big giveaway? If you missed the last one it’s still not too late to go enter to win a ZOKU or OXO pack.
Today’s Frozen Treat Week giveaway is brought to you by KitchenAid and King Arthur Flour! I’m in love with these two brands. I use my KitchenAid and my Ice Cream Maker Attachment like they’re going out of style. I’m also a huge fan of King Arthur Flour. You should see my pantry stocked full! Okay, enough chit-chat, are you ready?
For other Frozen Treat Week posts visit:
- The Baker Chick – Sweet & Sour Cherry Yogurt Pops
- Cook the Story – Ice Cream Sundae with Roasted Cherries
- Sweet Remedy – Raspberry & Riesling Sorbet Float
- Katie’s Cucina – Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Nutmeg Nanny – Lavender Lemon Curd Frozen Yogurt
- Damn Delicious – Berry Ice Cubes
- Cooking with Books – Coconut Hibiscus Granita
- Foodie with Family – Elvis Frozen Bananas
- Eats Well With Others – Peanut Butter Cup Ripple Ice Cream
- Rachel Cooks – Andes Mint Pudding Pops
- An Edible Mosaic – Almost-Instant Healthy Mint Chocolate Chip Soft Serve
Cookies and cream is my favorite flavour!! Love this!
Totally love that first shot. Such a fun idea and such a classic ice cream flavor!
Oreos will always make me smile/a bit giddy…especially in ice cream form! The perfect summer treat!
I don’t know who doesn’t love Cookies & Cream Ice Cream!! The thing is- sometimes I choose fruitier flavors- but then always regret it when Andy gets C&C and and have a bite.
This looks like the perfect classic recipe!
I am totally missing out by not making any frozen treats this week. I need to fix that.
Delicious! This is one of my hubby’s favorite ice cream flavors – need to make it!!
A KitchenAid mixer!?!? This would be the best thing that ever happened to me!
And yumm I love ice cream, but moose tracks is the very best! <3
You can never go wrong with the classics – cookies & cream is one of my favorites!
yum! I love homemade ice cream–one of the first ice creams I’ve ever made from scratch was a cookies & cream ice cream. Haven’t made it since and need to change that STAT!
I would not be able to stop eating this ice cream. I’m such a sucker for anything that contains Oreo cookies…yum!
I would make cookies and cream ice cream!