I’m currently in the midst of a women’s blogger fitness challenge hosted by the amazingly fit, Taylor Ryan of Fit Women’s Weekly, from my hometown of Charleston, South Carolina. Let’s just say she’s kicking my booty into shape! I’ve never been more sore and surprised at what my body could accomplish.
Along with the fitness challenge, we’re also motivated to try some clean eating, including these vegan brownies. Yes, please!
I’ve got to say, I was a little skeptical before I began baking these brownies. The secret ingredient (sweet potatoes) caught me off guard, but they made for incredibly fudgy brownies!
If I make them again, I think I’ll add a few chocolate chips on top or even inside. The chocolate chips will add a burst of sweetness throughout the fudgy brownies. A girl’s gotta have her chocolate chips!
Now, I’m off to get my bum in shape some more! What are you doing to be active today? Making brownies? 😉
Vegan Fudge Brownies
from Fit Women’s Weekly
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons puréed sweet potato
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line an 8″ square pan with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the water, vanilla and sweet potato purée.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and spread evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool for at least 20 minutes before removing and cutting into squares.
Note: For added flavor, sprinkle vegan chocolate chips in and/or on top of the brownies before baking.