I’ve been on the hunt all summer for some good shrimp that isn’t terribly high in price. That seems to be a big challenge for me here in South Carolina. Apparently, there’s a shrimp shortage due to all of the rain we’ve been having? The poor shrimp boats can’t make it out there with such rough seas!
I’m very particular when it comes to seafood. I’ll only purchase seafood that is domestic (wild caught in the US). I also had to learn the hard way that it’s worth the extra price to buy devined shrimp. Woo, that’s a nasty job!
Once I finally found a good deal at my local natural grocery store, my fridge became home to 2 pounds of shrimp. Yay!
While normally, I would grill shrimp or even put it in a creole dish, I decided it was time for a light summertime dish. This simple salad is perfect as an appetizer to a large meal or simply a light dinner after a long, hot day.
Even though it’s simple, it packs some major flavors.
Fresh Green & Shrimp Salad with Lemon Dill Dressing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas, steamed until tender
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 10-15 shrimp, sautéed
- In a small jar, combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper. Shake to make the dressing.
- Assemble your salad by topping the spinach with the steamed peas, feta cheese, red onion, sautéed shrimp and homemade dressing.
- Enjoy immediately.