I’m honored to be part of this year’s McCormick Everyday Bakers, where I’m going to share my favorite flavorful recipes. Here we go again!
I’m a sucker for bake sales. During my time at the College of Charleston, you’d often walk down George Street to find a bake sale table for some great cause. It’s a win/win when there’s a good cause behind you getting to eat delectable treats!
We never did many bake sales during my earlier school years. It was mainly fundraisers from big companies. But, I personally prefer the local and handmade beauty brought to you by bake sales.
What’s better than your mother’s made-from-scratch cookies?!
Actually, every time I think of bake sales, I think of the Gilmore Girls episode where Lorelia (not-so-homemaker-mom of Rory) gets her inn’s chef, Sookie, to make a the bake-sale-of-all-bake-sales with every kind of baked good and pastry you could think of. A little over board, but it all looked so good…I wish I was there on that day. 😉 Anyone ever see that episode? Anyone?
Now let’s talk these cookies. Bake sale perfection, if I do say so myself!
By making your traditional homemade cookie and stepping it up a level with an unexpected flavor (like mint in these cookies), you can insure you’ll have zero cookies left. And while it may be sad that you don’t have any more cookies left, at least you will have made some good money for your cause!
These made-from-scratch cookies are made from 100% whole wheat flour. Boom.
They are incredibly big and delicious. Gooey inside and hard on the outside. The chunks of chocolate and mint chocolate melted throughout are just amazing! Cool mint and sweet chocolate is such a refreshing combination. They remind me a lot of the cookies Erin brought back for me from Levain Baker in New York City. Big, puffy and deeeelicious.
Go make some cookies for your next bake sale!
For more bake sale recipe ideas:
- Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chunk Orange Cookies
- Raspberry Brownies
- Orange Kissed Brownies
- Choco Mint Crownies
- Lemon Clove Cookies
Whole Wheat Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Chew Out Loud
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon McCormick peppermint extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 8 ounces mint chocolate (You could also use andes or just plain chocolate chips)
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and peppermint together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Beat in one egg at a time until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, cocoa powder and salt).
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and mint chocolate.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Scoop 3 tablespoon-sized dough balls onto a silpat or parchment paper covered baking sheet, 2 inches apart. (You can really make these whatever size you want, I just made big cookies.)
- Bake for 6-7 minutes. Cookies may seem undercooked, but it’s okay.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
Servings: 18 large cookies
Loving the hint of mint in there!! Delicious!
LOVE! Whole wheat chocolate chip cookies are one of my fave! Gorgeous photos, Caroline!
these look FAB!!! seriously, i have a winter obsession with chocolate and mint, so this will DEF be on the to do list around that time!!
Oh my gosh these make me crave winter treats. Darn you getting minty on me lol
These look perfect and gorgeous. I want to make some cookies now 🙂
I LOVE Gilmore Girls! I so wish that show was still on 🙁 Mint and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations, these cookies look incredible!
Love these cookies, love me a bake sale and that episode of Gilmore Girls . . . love, love, love! 🙂
Mint chocolate chip cookies are the best, Pinned!
I am loving your pictures lately! Nice work!
I’ve never tried mint chocolate chip cookies before. I bet it’s awesome. I can’t wait to give it a try.
Oooh yum! These look so thick and delicious! First of all, I love the mint idea. And second, Gilmore Girls! Yes!! 😀
Oh and third, totally trying these cookies sometime soon 🙂
Oh my! These look glorious, what a perfect recipe 🙂 the mint is perfect
I love how gooey they are inside!
Me, too. I’m a sucker for gooeyness!