Even though the first of fall begins in a few short weeks (YAYAYAYAY!!!), we’re still enjoying peaches here in South Carolina. With that said, it was prime time for me to make a ‘lighter’ version of our traditional southern peach ice cream.
I have to say, it turned out especially delicious!
Liam and I sat there on the kitchen floor, licking the ice cream machine parts clean after it was made. Now, that’s my kind of mother and son bonding time!
Another thing that’s so great about this recipe is that there are no eggs, therefore no cooking time before freezing. The benefit of that, too, is that you don’t have to wait for the liquid to chill before freezing. Less time to make it, therefore you get to eat it that much sooner! Win/win!
What I suggest you do now, is run out to the grocery store and grab a bunch of the ripest peaches you can find (preferably local and on sale!) and make this ice cream.
Lighter Peach Ice Cream
adapted from A Culinary Jounery with Chef Dennis
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 medium pitted and peeled peaches
- (filling) 2 medium pitted, peeled and diced peaches
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream, half and half, whole milk, sugar and vanilla together for 30 seconds or until the sugar seems incorporated.
- In a food processor or blender, purée the 5 peaches until smooth.
- Stir the peach purée into the milk mixture until combined.
- Place in your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Set out a freezer safe dish.
- Layer the ice cream and diced peaches in the dish.
- Freeze until frozen (about 4 hours).
Note: Be sure to cover the ice cream with plastic wrap or else it will get icy and crumbly.
I am absolutely loving the peaches right now – they’re juicy and sweet and just the best!! I need this peach ice cream in my life pronto 🙂
This sounds like such a delight! Yum!
I have got to make more ice cream!! I’ve only made it twice!! Love this recipe!
Yum, this looks amazing! I especially love your photos on this post!
Looks delicious! Love peach ice cream!!!
thank you for the shout out Caroline, Peach ice cream is a wonderful thing!
Seems good! I would love to try this one 🙂
I just happen to have some super ripe peaches … score!