Don’t stop reading after you see the title of this recipe, pretty please. I know it may not sound very appetizing to some, just keep an open mind. You’ll see!
First of all, these pea fritters are full of amazing vegetables:
- peas – antioxidants & anti-inflammatory*
- spinach – anti-cancer & bone health*
- onion – cardiovascular benefits & bone health*
and given the chance to really shine with these seasonings:
- garlic – cardiovascular benefits, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial & anti-cancer*
- cumin- iron & good digestion*
- salt – just delicious
- pepper – good digestion*
turning them into delicious little fritters!
You could enjoy these fritters like little pancakes and cover them with the refreshing mint sauce or place them in a bun and eat them like a veggie burger! They’re great for snacking, appetizers or your main meal, too.
See, aren’t you glad you gave them a chance?
adapted from Healthy Recipes
- 1 pound frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream or greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Cook the frozen peas in 2 cups of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Blend or process the peas and remaining ingredients (except for the olive oil cooking spray) until smooth.
- Scoop even sized amounts of the batter onto a preheated griddle on medium heat until browned on both sides and cooked through.
Note: I placed my fritters on a baking sheet and kept them in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes while the remainder of the meal cooked, so they were nice and hot. But, just use your best judgement.
Mint Cream Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Stir the ingredients together and serve with the pea fritters.