It’s official, I’m a fan of sugar. Hello, captain obvious.
Deciding to change it up a bit and give sugar free a try, brownies here we come. I have to say, kudos to those of you who either have to live sugar free or live sugar free just to be healthy. I couldn’t do it. I’m not a fan.
I really haven’t educated myself on the art of artificial or naturally sugar free options. My motto has always been to use real sugar in moderation. Here’s what I typically use in my baking:
- natural cane sugar
- maple syrup
- agave nectar
- puréed fruit
I know that artificial sugars are just bad news, but I’m haven’t been won over with those ‘natural’ sugar free sweeteners like stevia. I’m a statistics girl, so if you can prove that it’s safe to use it, win me over. I’m not quite sold yet.
For those of you who love sugar as much as I do, I wouldn’t suggest making these brownies. But, for those of you that can’t have sugar, they’re a great way of satisfying that chocolate craving. The end.
Sugar Free Brownies
slightly adapted from Sugar-Free Mom
- 4 tablespoons refined coconut oil (in liquid form)
- 4 tablespoons milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 packets Stevia (I used some samples of NuStevia)
- (Optional) 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line an 8″ square pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, milk, vanilla, and applesauce until combined.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and stevia.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
Sugar free definitely takes some getting used to. I prefer stevia for most things, but Splenda actually seems to taste better in baking. My husband is diabetic, so thanks for the recipe! I’ll have to try it out for him.