In all my few years as a self-taught baker/cook, I’ve never made chocolate waffles…or pancakes for that matter. I guess in my brain, you already have syrup on the pastry, why add more sweets?
Yeah, stupid question.
The beauty about these waffles is the waffles themselves are just ever so slightly sweet from the banana and little bit of honey. You’re not over powered by sugar when you then add syrup on top. It’s just the right amount of sweet and chocolate.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Banana Waffles
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 bananas, smashed (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Stir until combined.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk, bananas, oil and honey. Stir until completely combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined.
- Spray your waffle iron with oil and scoop the proper amount for your waffle maker and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Servings: 4 belgian style waffles