Chocolate shortbread cookies sandwiched with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup frosting.
I sitting here fresh out of shooting video for a friend’s wedding for the first time. It was exhilarating and nerve racking. My feet are pounding from standing all day in the flattest flats and I have completely lost my voice thanks to the crud that my little Liam gave to me.
All I want is chocolate.
All I want is to get in a hot steamy bath to allow me to breathe correctly again.
And did I mention that all I want is chocolate? Yet, I keep telling myself to brush my teeth so that I won’t be tempted to snack on chocolate. Do you do that too?
Instead, I’m squeezing this Reese’s frosting onto Christmas bell shaped Reese’s cups.
I guess you could say my cravings won and chocolate reigns supreme. Now, I’m wishing I could bake up another batch of these cookie sandwiches! Chocolate and peanut butter at its finest, thanks to Reese’s.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Sandwiches
adapted from McCormick
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until combined.
- Beat in the flour mixture a little bit at a time.
- Divide the dough in half and with each half roll into a 9 inch long and 2 inch in diameter log. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 15 minutes or until firm. Note: You can also stick in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Cut the logs into 1/4 inch cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until set.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Next, make the filling (recipe below).
Servings: about 16 cookies or 8 sandwiches
Peanut Butter Filling
adapted from Cookies & Cups
- 30 Miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Beat the ingredients together and place into a piping bag.
- Squeeze a dollop on one cookie and top with another cookie.
Servings: about 2 cups of frosting