A healthier take on the Southern classic of chicken and waffles.
It took a week, but we’ve officially moved from Columbia to Charleston, South Carolina. With my birthday, my husband and my 5th wedding anniversary, Mixed Conference and Thanksgiving all within the week of our move, I’d say it’s an understatement that I’m still functioning.
Needless to say, we couldn’t have done it without the help of our family. We’re now living with my husband’s family while we search for a place to permanently live. We’re getting to know our family really well.
Like, REALLY well.
Since I am and will always be in love with being in the kitchen, my job remains the same: feed the people around me.
Being born and raised in Charleston, chicken and waffles are no new thing. When you see them on a menu just order them. They are amazing. Typically, the chicken is battered and fried and the waffles are the good-old classic white-flour variety.
This is where I come in.
We’re making this chicken and waffles dish healthier!
Now that our Target has a grocery section it’s so easy to go pick up Gold’n Plump® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast to make a moist meal. Being a stickler for ‘happy chicken’ I really appreciate that I can pick up the Gold’n Plump® chicken that is natural and family farm raised chicken. Love.
This specific package that I purchased comes in pre-trimmed and individually packed chicken breasts. But, feel free to use their fresh Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets for this meal, too.
Okay, let’s get started!
To make the moistest and healthiest breaded chicken without the use of a frying pan, we’re going to use a great method of breading and baking the chicken.
First you dip the chicken in flour, followed by an egg white and yogurt mixture and finally dipped in crushed corn flake cereal. These layers will allow for a perfectly crunchy outer layer.
Then, you’ll spray an oven safe cooling rack placed on a foil covered baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay the coated chickens spaced evenly on the cooling rack. Then spray the tops of the coated chicken breasts with the cooking spray. This will give them the golden brown color that you want.
While that’s cooking, you can make your waffles and have a hot meal on the table for your friends and family in no time!
Food is such a beautiful way to bring friends and family together. Being that it’s the holiday season makes it that much more special.
Do yourself a favor and make healthier chicken & waffles for you and your family. They will love you forever.
Now, let’s just hope my family still loves me after living with them for a few months. Eep! 😉
Also, when in doubt, check out Gold’n Plump®’s Pinterest page for some more chicken recipe ideas. They are a great resource!
Healthier Chicken & Waffles
adapted from Chocolate & Carrots
Baked Crispy Chicken
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 1.5 pounds Gold’n Plump® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets
Whole Wheat Waffles
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place an oven-safe cooking rack on top and spray with cooking oil.
- Prepare three bowls for dipping: one with flour, salt and pepper; one with the egg white and yogurt; and one with the corn flake pieces. Be sure to stir each bowl.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the flour mixture, followed by the egg white/yogurt mixture, followed by the corn flakes, coating evenly. Place the coated chicken evenly spaced out onto the prepared rack.
- Spray top tops of the chicken with cooking oil spray to achieve golden brown chicken.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until thoroughly cooked and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, make your waffles by doing the following:
- Preheat your waffle maker (I have this belgian waffle maker).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spray the waffle maker with cooking spray and following the waffle maker’s instructions to make the waffles.
- Once the waffles and chicken are done, enjoy together with maple syrup.
Servings: 6 large waffles and 4 large chicken breasts
This post was sponsored by Gold’n Plump. I received compensation for this post. All opinions are my own. Please read my disclosure policy for further information.