Today is my son’s first full day at preschool. He went for 1 hour on Tuesday because of the cold weather and this is his first time going for the full 3 hours. I started tearing up like a baby on Tuesday when I dropped him off. Luckily, I grew up knowing the teachers at the preschool and my mom is the principal, which is pretty awesome!
I have to keep telling myself that I have nothing to worry about and just enjoy the uninterrupted work time. I actually edited these photos, wrote this post and answered all my emails in record time today. It usually takes me all day to do that in between chasing after Liam up and down the stairs and playing cars at home.
This is a good thing.
Almost as good as these muffins.
Since living with my in-laws, I haven’t been as active in the kitchen as I’m used to, having to get acclimated to a new routine while we’re looking for a house. But, I did manage to break away from the new norm long enough to whip up these muffins for the cold weather. I even had my mother-in-law help hold the reflector while shooting these photos!
Then we ate them.
We ate them all.
Whole Wheat Gingerbread Muffins
adapted from Southern in Law
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup non fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- (topping) 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- (topping) 1-3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 12 cup non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray or use paper cups.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, egg, brown sugar, olive oil and molasses together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and evenly divide into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Take out of the muffin pan and allow them to cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, mix the powdered sugar and water together until it reaches the desired consistency and pour over the muffins.
Servings: 12 muffins