Gah, I’m basically a monkey, raising a family of monkeys.
We eat bananas like no other. It is not uncommon for the cashier at the grocery store ask me what I’m planning on doing with all the bananas in my cart. I mean, 75% of them go straight into our nightly smoothies (lately they’ve been full of spinach and peanut butter!) and the other quarter we eat as an easy snack on-the-go or used for baking.
In this case, it’s all about the pancakes. They are hearty and naturally sweet. Thank you bananas!
Just be prepared to go bananas at these pancakes!
Whole Wheat Banana Pecan Pancakes
adapted from Jersey Girl Cooks
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups light buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and pecans together.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the buttermilk, olive oil, eggs and banana together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, just until combined. Don’t over stir.
- Heat a griddle on medium-high heat and spray with olive oil spray or spread a little bit of butter on the surface.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. Cook for a few minutes or until golden brown on each side.
Note: You can omit the flaxseeds if you don’t have them, but they had a nice flavor and added nutrition.
Those look awesome! I love fat, fluffy pancakes, especially when they have healthy ingredients like whole wheat flour. Pinned! 🙂
Look at all that fluff!!! I can hardly stand it 🙂
The fluffiness of your pancakes is screaming my name!
Dying! These look so fluffy and perfect!
These look perfect! Love that there is flaxseed in them!
These look great! Now I will have to make your version too!