These Banana Bread Waffles are naturally sweet from the bananas with no added sugar and full of whole grains. I’m honored to be working with Dole Bananas to spread the word about the Peel The Love Tour and celebrating with these waffles!
Recently, I had a sundae waffle at a local breakfast restaurant here in Charleston and it made me very happy. That waffle and it became an inspiration for these waffles…which are two steps better (both in flavor and nutrition)!
I could eat the waffles plain because they taste just like banana bread. Then, you add all these delicious toppings, like warm honey caramelized bananas and fruit and you’ve got an amazing meal.
You see, this is just one of the ways we enjoy bananas every day. Most of the time, we’re sipping down Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Smoothies and eating them plain with peanut butter. But, a little change up is always good every once and a while. These waffles are just that!
Dole® Bananas is actually on the road this summer for a Peel the Love Tour all over the country. Think wienermobile for bananas. Awesome-sauce. There will be food featuring recipes from the Dole Test Kitchens, fun activities and giveaways. The tour is co-sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk (fav!) that are also featured in the recipes on the tour.
photo from Dole
The Peel the Love tour’s main goal is to encourage greater consumption of fruits and veggies (yay!) and to share the world’s most popular fruit…you guessed it…bananas! The tour will be stopping in 26 cities across the country over the course of 104 days. Woot!
Make sure you check the tour dates to see if they will be coming to a city near you! And in the meantime, enjoy these amazing waffles!
Banana Bread Waffles with Honey Caramelized Bananas
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, smashed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- (caramelized bananas) 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- (caramelized bananas) 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- (caramelized bananas) 2 tablespoons honey
- (caramelized bananas) pinch of salt
- (caramelized bananas) pinch of cinnamon
- (optional toppings) strawberries, blueberries, pecans
- Preheat your belgain waffle maker.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the bananas, milk, vanilla eggs and olive oil together.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients.
- Stir until just combined, don’t over stir, little chunks are okay.
- Scoop out the recommended amount of batter into the greased waffle maker and allow them to cook according to the waffle maker’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, to caramelize the bananas, preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add in the butter, honey, salt and cinnamon and give it a little stir. Add in your banana slices and cook for about 3 minutes on either side, or until caramelized. Be careful to not over cook your bananas because they will burn quickly.