Okay, don’t get mad. I’m already thinking about Thanksgiving.
With a big family, you need lots of time to plan who’s house we’re getting together at and who’s making what. Otherwise, you end up with Thanksgiving chaos the day before the big feast.
I’ve never actually made the feast myself, but I’ve been a good kitchen helper!
To change things up a bit and bring Thanksgiving to the appetizers, I decided it was time for some Thanksgiving themed turkey meatballs…and to serve them with a cranberry mayonnaise.
Holy heavens are they delicious!
I was actually introduced to this new brand of mayonnaise called Just Mayo by Hampton Creek. They mayonnaises come in three different flavors: plain, garlic and sriracha. It’s NON-GMO certified, inexpensive (16 ounce container at Whole Foods is just $2.99!) and just look at the simple ingredients:
- Non-GMO Expeller Pressed Canola Oil
- Filtered Water
- Lemon Juice
- White Vinegar
- 2% or less of the following: Organic Sugar, Salt, Pea Protein, Spices, Modified Food Starch, Beta-Carotene
How’s that for simple and real. It’s Just Mayo…get it?
No one in my family really likes mayonnaise except for on a tomato sandwich or grilled cheese. They don’t even like it in chicken salad! Weirdos. I love mayonnaise and would eat it on anything (that reminds me of a book I’ve just read to Liam 1,043 times…Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess).
I’m always up for a game of, try it and you’ll like it (before I tell you what’s in it) with my family…especially my husband. They all tried it and loved it! They would “eat it here or there or anywhere“!
So, let’s talk about everything you see here. The Herbed Turkey Meatballs are full of herbs and are just simple enough to not over power the cranberry mayonnaise. And the cranberry mayonnaise is simply amazing! It’s sweet and creamy and the perfect dip for these meatballs.
The cranberry mayonnaise would also make a great spread for a turkey-day sandwich or even dressing on a salad!
T-minus 10 weeks until Thanksgiving! Just forget I said that and go to your nearest Target and see with your own eyes that it’s two months from Halloween and there’s already costumes and decorations on display. Crazy-sauce.
Herbed Turkey Meatballs and Cranberry Mayonnaise
- 1 pound 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- (sauce) 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- (sauce) 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- (sauce) 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Stir all of the ingredients together. Shape the ground meat into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- (Optional) Lightly spray with cooking spray to enhance browning.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, cranberry sauce and pepper for the sauce.
- Plate the meatballs to dip in the cranberry mayonnaise and finish with a fresh sage leaf.