How can you go wrong turning a breakfast food into a dessert?
Nope. Can’t think of any reason.
These french toast cupcakes are a special thing. They are filled with cinnamon and topped with a lovely maple cinnamon flavored frosting. Then, they’re topped with bacon.
They were delicious right after baking, but waiting 24 hours to indulge created a whole new flavor level. The bacon flavor actually melted into the maple frosting and just gave it that full rounded “OH-MY-GOSH I’m eating bacon on a cupcake” flavor.
You just need to make them. They’ll wow everyone. Trust me!
Oh and when I served them to my family, I had previously baked up quite a few sweet treats for dessert. It was the first time I ever had to insure them that I did have vegetarian dessert options, too.
French Toast Cupcakes with Maple Frosting and Bacon
cupcakes adapted from American Heritage Cooking
frosting adapted from Food Network
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups minus 4 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- (frosting) 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- (frosting) 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- (frosting) 2 cups powdered sugar
- (frosting) 1/4 cup maple syrup
- (frosting) 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- (optional topping) bacon pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line two 12 cup muffin pans and spray with cooking spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Beat in the flour mixture and greek yogurt, alternating between the two.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the prepared cupcake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for 3 minutes in the pan before removing and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, beat the cream cheese spread, butter and powdered sugar together until creamy. Beat in the maple syrup and cinnamon until combined. Decorate the cupcakes with the frosting and top with bacon pieces.
Servings: 18-24 cupcakes