Ho Ho Ho!
I got in the cookie mood yesterday (yeah, like there’s ever such a thing as a non-cookie mood) and went all Christmas! Liam (our 3 year old) is in prime magic mode and Christmas is alive in his eyes. There’s nothing finer than hearing the excitement of a child at Christmas time.
We’ve watched The Polar Express 7238 times since Halloween and we still have a couple weeks until Christmas! Oh, and when we’re in the car Liam also requests we listen to The Polar Express soundtrack. So, in the spirit of Christmas, here are the red-nosed reindeer cookies you’ve been waiting for!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 heavy cream
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 14 red chocolate candies
- 28 eye sprinkles
- 28 mini pretzels
- To prepare the cookie dough: In a mixer or bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar and sugar together. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract until blended. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cornstarch and salt. By hand, stir in the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Roll your dough into 2 tablespoon balls. Place 2 inches apart on parchment covered baking sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are just light brown the tops are sort of cracked looking. Allow to cool before refrigerating (faster in the refrigerator).
- To prepare the chocolate frosting: In a microwavable bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl (or your stand mixer), beat the butter until creamy (20 seconds). Beat in the vanilla and heavy cream. Beat in the powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) until incorporated. Pour in the melted chocolate and beat until mixed.
- To decorate the cookies: Spread 1-2 tablespoons of chocolate frosting on each cookie. Place two eye sprinkles in the center, a red chocolate candy right below and two pretzels at the top.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Servings: Makes 14-15 large cookies